December 18, 2014, 1:30 AM : Please sign in or register for a free account. Get information about membership.
Who's chatting now:
News: news

news
David Braben's Elite: Dangerous is confusingly similar to our indie game Dangerous en>fr fr>en
By linh Comments: 173, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Fri Nov 09, 2012 05:59 PM
David Braben's Elite: Dangerous is confusingly similar to our indie game Dangerous

We've been developing our game for over 3 years, and have been selling it since late 2011. The lead character is named "Dangerous", hence the name of our game is Dangerous. It's a 3D space trading, piracy, combat sim in the vein of Elite, EVE Online, X3, Freelancer, etc.

This week, David Braben of Elite fame announced a true successor to Elite on Kickstarter which is awesome. I'd love to play it. The problem is he named it "Elite: Dangerous":

www.kickstarter.com . . .

While "Dangerous" has been used in numerous game names, I think the problem for customer confusion is great since both our games are in the exact same genre, and the names differ in only "Elite". I sent him a polite email early this week telling him about the potential conflict in naming and asked if we could come to a mutually amicable agreement, but no response has been forthcoming.

We're a tiny 2-man indie studio with relatively little means at our disposal, and Dangerous has been a labor of love that hasn't yet broken even in sales yet. In fact, we were planning to launch a Kickstarter later this year to get additional funding. So there's a very real possibility for name confusion, and people might think we're trying to copy Elite: Dangerous when that's not the case.

Here's a public record of our development:

* forums.toucharcade.com . . .
* forums.toucharcade.com . . .
* www.spacegamejunkie.com . . .
* spacesimcentral.com . . .
* steamcommunity.com . . .
* www.spacesector.com . . .
* forum.unity3d.com . . .
* www.gamasutra.com . . .
* www.reddit.com . . .
(Additional links and reviews omitted for the sake of brevity)

Our game is already available on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android starting as early as December 2011:

* whoisdangerous.com
* www.gamersgate.com . . .
* www.macgamestore.com . . .
* itunes.apple.com . . .
* play.google.com . . .
* www.amazon.com . . .

I will update the news with any response from David Braben.

Linh Ngo
Binary Helix

UPDATE: According to a source who has worked at Frontier, the name conflict was brought up before the launch of the Kickstarter, but it was ignored.
www.reddit.com . . .

2 Replies to David Braben's Elite: Dangerous is confusingly similar to our indie game Dangerous

re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous is confusingly similar to our indie game Dangerous en>fr fr>en
By johnBarry Comments: 6, member since Sun Apr 14, 2013
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 03:25 AM
check your patents and copyrights. Get them if you don't have them
re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous is confusingly similar to our indie game Dangerous en>fr fr>en
By johnBarry Comments: 6, member since Sun Apr 14, 2013
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 03:26 AM
check your patents and copyrights. Get them if you don't have them

ReplySendWatch

. . . Return to Top of Page